Mark your calendars! Victorian Law Week will be 16 – 22 May 2022.
What is Victorian Law Week?
Victorian Law Week is a program of community events and activities that makes learning about the law easy.
It is designed to help Victorians understand their rights, find answers to their questions, know what help is available and how our legal system works.
The program is managed by the Victoria Law Foundation, with events and activities run by a range of organisations, including community legal centres, government bodies, community organisations, law firms, courts and tribunals – and more.
How can you get involved?
Running a Victorian Law Week activity is a great way to connect with your local community, and deliver valuable and accessible information.
A Victorian Law Week activity can be as simple as a drop-in information stand at your local neighbourhood house or library, informal question-and-answer session, obligation-free 40-minute legal consultations or a webinar on a relevant legal topic.
Does your organisation already run free community legal education activities? They may be able to be included in the program if they are scheduled during Victorian Law Week, so that you can benefit from the increased profile.
Our event criteria
To be accepted into the Victorian Law Week program, your event must meet our criteria. Events must:
- Take place within Victoria
- Improve the Victorian community’s understanding of the law or the legal system
- Be designed for individuals or small businesses
- Be free of charge
- Not be invitation only*.
* Interested in running an invitation only event? While we can’t include it in the public program, we may be able to provide you with support. Contact us to find out more.
Feel free to email us if you have any questions or would like to discuss your idea to make sure it fits with these criteria.
Please note that the following activities do not meet our criteria:
- Events where the primary audience is people working in the legal sector.
- Events about recruitment and career progression in the law. If you are interested in running an event for students about legal careers, we suggest that you contact the Victorian Commercial Teachers’ Association. They may be able to advertise your event on their online noticeboard for secondary school teachers.
- Events only open to people employed at a specific workplace.
Interested in offering free legal advice consultations?
When determining appointment duration, please allow sufficient time to obtain instructions and provide meaningful preliminary information or advice during the appointment.
What support is available to event organisers?
We recognise that our event organisers are the subject matter experts – you are best placed to understand your audience and their needs. As a result, we leave the planning and promotion of your Victorian Law Week activity up to you – but we are here to provide you with support to help ensure your activity is as effective as possible.
All event organisers receive:
- Invitations to webinars for Victorian Law Week event organisers, designed to assist with planning and delivering your activity
- Access to online resources for Victorian Law Week event organisers, with tips for effective planning, marketing and delivery of your activity
- Access to Victoria Law Foundation’s in-house events team, to discuss your ideas and receive advice to help you develop an effective Victorian Law Week activity
- Event listing in the official program on the Victorian Law Week website
- One promoted Facebook post about each activity on the official Victorian Law Week Facebook channel*
- One Twitter post about each activity on the official Victorian Law Week Twitter channel*
- For events in the students’ program: Event listing in official Victorian Law Week emails sent to Victorian secondary school teachers
- Event listing in the daily ‘What’s On’ email sent during Victorian Law Week
- Opportunity to meet with the Victoria Law Foundation’s in-house communications team to receive advice about your self-managed promotional activities
- Opportunity to benefit from the Victorian Law Foundation’s marketing campaign for Victorian Law Week, which aims to drive visitation to the program on the Victorian Law Week website
- Opportunity to have a recording of your live Victorian Law Week event displayed on the Victorian Law Week website for up to 6 months
* For activities listed in the general Victorian Law Week program. Does not apply to activities where the primary audience is high school and/or university students – these events will be included in the dedicated students’ program on the Victorian Law Week website and receive tailored promotion to secondary school teachers.
Are grants available for Victorian Law Week 2022?
We have made some changes to our grants program for Victorian Law Week 2022. This year, grants will be available exclusively to members of Neighbourhood Houses Victoria.
Where should I start?
We want you to get the most out of your Victorian Law Week activity. Read our guides to help your planning:
Before registering we recommend that you read the guide pages listed above, read our ‘Before you register‘ page, preview our event registration form and get in contact with us to check that your activity meets our criteria.
Submissions are closed for 2022.
Got any questions?
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us for guidance on planning your event.